sunday, 22 july 2012

posted at 01:46

So here I am at Brussels Airport. Its growing on me, but only because I'm sitting up in the departure lounge. The arrivals area is a complete hole. I can't decide if that's the wrong way around - on the one hand, you want to make a good first impression (failed) but on the other you want people to leave with a fond memory (succeeded). It might be a combination of being awake for the best part of the last 24 hours and the spaghetti, chips and beer talking. Its probably not important.

Anyway, the backstory for the uninitiated is that I now work for Opera Software, working from the Melbourne office. I meant to write something about leaving Monash and starting at Opera but hadn't got around to it yet. Maybe next time. In any case, I've been there a couple of months, love it, and now its time to take the pilgrimage to the head office in Oslo, Norway. They seem to like everyone to visit overseas offices semi-frequently, and I have double reason to go in that the fine fellow that I was hired to partially replace lives and works there. It will be extremely useful to be able to get an answer in 30 seconds instead of waiting a whole day and night for an email round trip. Its a good thing!

Of course, I have to leave my dear family, a fact that none of us are particularly happy about. The timing isn't great either because everyone got sick. Francesca has some infection messing her up, so much so that she cried all the way to Coburg where we dumped her at her grandma's house and continued on to the airport. Wife tells me she's getting sick too, which is only going to make things harder for her - my children are delightful but are also about eight full time jobs to take care of. My wife is an amazing woman. I will likely write her an email telling her so very soon and I will likely have to study ancient languages to find words that going even some small way to communicate just how magnificent she is.

Beth cried at the airport and wouldn't let me go. I'm told that Penny looked after her as well as a three-year-old can - touching her a lot and telling her "don't be sad, its ok". I love my family so much! I'm fairly fried right now but I think once I've slept in a bed and had a moment to think I'll really start to miss them.

So the flights. I left Melbourne at around 10pm for a 14 hours flight to Abu Dhabi. Etihad is a fantastic airline - the seats were comfortable, the food was very good and they couldn't do enough to look after you. I got myself signed up for the "Etihad Guest" program which among other things gets me a 5kg increase in my baggage allowance. So between that and freeing up another 5kg by not having to carry engine parts with me on the return flight (help a friend out: buy an oil cooler in Australia, chuck it in your bag and take it to Norway for him), I should have no excuse to bring heavy presents back with me.

I slept fitfully for a few hours which appears to have been enough to keep me alive. Either that or I'm just used to functioning on very little sleep. Most of the rest of the time was spent reading and hacking. Same old story with me.

Abu Dhabi is bizarre. The sun was up at perhaps 5am. We landed at about 6.30am and already it was over 30 C and humid. The airport is fully airconditioned of course but it never quite felt comfortable. You could tell that it was overworked. And the land is brown, so brown. It really is the middle of a desert. Seems a very strange place to attempt to eke out an existence, let alone build a throbbing metropolis, but I guess if its your home then you know what you're doing.

The terminal was large and modern, with free internet that everyone used and as such I couldn't get near. And people everywhere, so many people. And surprisingly good coffee! And everyone spoke excellent English, so really it wasn't so hard to tell that I wasn't in Mebourne. Only a very short stop though, so I didn't really have much time to see anything.

The flight to Brussels was more of the same, I'd gotten used to it now. More book (finished it), more hacking (taking apart Pioneer's starsystem generator, making great progress there). Not really a whole lot to add except to say that I glanced up every know and again at the movie "Deep Impact", and it looks to be equal parts terrible and awesome. I really am tired.

So now I'm in Brussels. As noted, its pretty crap. I'm reliably informed that this extends to the city and probably the country as a whole, so I guess I should give them points for consistency. Got myself a good grilling by the immigration official (because the airport is so retarded that you have to go through customs twice even if you're just transferring), then had to talk to a bored Brussels Airlines representative to a) figure out how to get a boarding pass and b) figure out where my luggage went. After twenty minutes and a good amount of "merci", "pardon" and "je ne comprends pas" because they didn't seem keen on speaking English but that's about the extent of my French, I managed to get it all sorted out.

Anyway I've managed to find my way up to the departure lounge, which is actually quite nice. Quiet, stolen power available, internet paid for (when you haven't had contact with the outside world for a while 20EUR does not seem a lot of money for four hours). Another ~20EUR got me a reasonable spaghetti bolognaise, a beer (Leffe Blond, passable) and a little can of Pringles (ahh globalisation, good wherever you go). Its not terrible, but even if it was I think my standards at this point are too low to notice.

Just had half a chat with my lady via Skype. I say half because we had no sound in either direction and only my video seemed to work, so the actual conversation was conducted via Google Talk. But that was nice just to check in. We'll have to get the technology fixed prooperly before we try it again.

So I'm a couple of hours away from my flight, which should get in to Oslo just after 10pm local. From there I collect my things and catch the train to the Oslo S. I'm hoping to find an English-speaking human there that can a) sell me a map and b) direct me to my apartment. The office there is closed but I'm told the nearby 7-11 has been informed of my arrival and is holding the key for me. And after that it should be as simple as shower and bed. And then I get to spend the remainder of Sunday (after I wake) figuring out where the hell I am and how to get to work so that I can be there spritely and on-time on Monday morning.

While I'm sure visiting another part of the world is great, getting there is a complete pain in the arse. Someone hurry up and invent a transporter. Please.