Does this mean anything to you?
rob@plastic:~$ ping -c5 192.168.30.2 PING 192.168.30.2 (192.168.30.2) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from 192.168.30.2: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=13.0 ms 64 bytes from 192.168.30.2: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=12.9 ms 64 bytes from 192.168.30.2: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=12.9 ms 64 bytes from 192.168.30.2: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=12.8 ms 64 bytes from 192.168.30.2: icmp_seq=5 ttl=255 time=12.9 ms --- 192.168.30.2 ping statistics --- 5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 3999ms rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 12.824/12.948/13.074/0.147 ms
I was right, and the problem wasn't my fault. I got an email this morning from one Georg Steger (who has a finger in every pie) who read my last blog entry, and based on my rather vague description was heroic enough to track down a bug in UnixIO, and sent me a patch. Applied, and its a ping frenzy - I've sent ~10000, without issue. Thanks Georg, you're a legend.
While others were fixing bugs for me, I got to spend some time refactoring large chunks of code and adding various error checks and other stuff. Its now at the point where I think I've got a pretty solid and clean codebase to build all the other needed pieces on - stats tracking, broadcast/multicasts, and so forth. The hard stuff is done, it should be pretty plain sailing from here!