tuesday, 29 january 2008

posted at 10:12
tags:

I'm at linux.conf.au this week and because I'm so well practiced at listening to people talk while doing something unrelated on the laptop (thanks dayjob), I've got a hell of a lot of code done, making up for the nothing I did over the weekend.

Yesterday I finally got text rendering happening via cairo:

There's not really a lot to say about it. The hardest part has been converting the glyph metrics that come back from the bullet glyph engine into cairo's glyph metrics, as they haven't a slightly different view of the world.

The code is still rather messy and incomplete. I still have to handle the font matrix which will allow arbitrary scalings, rotations, etc. Smarter font selection is needed as well as using the algorithmic emboldening/shearing stuff to provide fonts that don't exist. At least its all downhill from here.